Sunday, July 24, 2011

Long Slow Runs Kick Ass!

This weekend has been a little rough for me nutritionally. I didn't have to work at the dance studio like I thought I did - so I got an unexpected weekend off which was really awesome. We only have one more week of having my stepson here so vacation mode is starting to sink in - we are more willing to break our routines as he won't be here for much longer. I had a great weigh in on Saturday morning of 172.6lbs (which is the lowest I've been since the Vegan adventures in February) but after that nutrition turned into a cheat weekend.

Yesterday, I didn't eat prior to my Zumba class and then took my car straight to get the windshield replaced. They got my car done super quickly and I had enough time to meet the hubby for lunch at one of our favorite burrito places - which was a treat since I haven't eaten there in months. Then last night the hubby and I had an unexpected date night and we went to see Harry Potter - which was awesome! We had a quick dinner beforehand at Johnny Rockets which wasn't bad - I had a bacon cheeseburger that was pretty tasty. Once the movie was over, we went to pick up the kiddo (who was hanging out with some of our family) and they had picked up pizza from Dion's. The hubby and I each had only once slice and both started to feel yucky within about 10 mins! I guess that's just reinforcement that our bodies are starting to get used to our healthier diets!

Today I woke up feeling a little blah and a little squishy but not too bad. Weighed in between 174 and 175lbs (I got 2 different readings both times I stepped on it). I let the kiddo sleep in and I grabbed some quick food in the pantry to eat (fiber one brownies) to stave off my hunger until he woke up. I watched the conclusion of the Tour De France this morning and once the kiddo woke up we ate cereal. Around 1100 this morning, the hubby met us for lunch and we went to a local burger joint for some "taco burgers" and green chile cheese fries. It was a total splurge lunch but it was damn tasty.

After coming home and training a client, I hopped on the treadmill for my afternoon run - which was just textbook perfection!! I had decided earlier this week to focus on a long slow run instead of pushing for my 6.0+ speeds and risking exhausting myself too early. I bought fans for the treadmill at WalMart and clipped them on before my run today, which made a HUGE difference - the whole time I never felt super hot and I was really quite comfortable! The required run today was 25 minutes - which I easily knocked out and I decided to keep going after that. I ended up running for a full 37 minutes and completing a 5K on the treadmill today at an easier 12/min mile pace. After cooling down, re-hydrating and walking for a few minutes, I was refreshed enough that I could have easily ran longer - but I ran out of time as the hubby was almost home and it was his running day too - he's actually running his last workout of week 5 right now!!! So proud of him! He is rockin' that 20 min run!!

Anyways - not sure what we're going to do for dinner, but I'm not really worried about it. If I only end up maintaining my 172lbs this week and through my birthday weekend then I'll be happy with that. I am physically strong enough to run a full 5K right now and I have over 2 months to train for my 10K. I am thinking about changing my training methodology around a little bit at this point. I don't really see the point in completing the remaining 3 weeks of C25K as planned out if I can comfortably run the distance in these 6 weeks.

I think what I'll do is take an endurance training approach to my workouts from now on and run the 5K distance for the next week or two - with one of them each week focusing on speed work while the other two are just focusing on getting comfortable with the distance. After about a week or two of this training, I am planning on starting the Bridge to 10K program, which will start training me for the longer and harder distances that the race in October will prepare me for - SO EXCITING!! Tomorrow is another running day - can't wait to see how it goes!!! Another long slow run is in my future and I can't wait!!!

Week 6 Day 3 Workout
Warm Up - 5 minutes (0.25 mile distance covered)
Run for 37 minutes at 5.0 MPH (only 25 required for workout)
Cool Down for 7 minutes at easy walk

Total Calories Burned: 560
Total Distance Traveled: 3.75 miles (3.12 ran - so this is all I'm counting below)
Total Workout Time: 49 minutes

Total Miles Ran in 2011: 84.84 Miles
Total Calories Burned "Running From My Issues": 12,319 Calories GONE

No comments:

Post a Comment