Friday, June 10, 2011

I have a direction...

So after yesterday's realization that I have the FREE time to train for my own race this fall - I haven't stopped thinking about it! You all know what this means....Hilly is training for distance again!! Wahoo!!! Starting on Wednesday - I'll be doing a 3 day a week split (Wed, Fri & Sun) to train for a full 10K.

I am going to be starting 5K training over again (even though I can run the distance now) - and work on speed the whole time. I want to be able to comfortably run the distance at a sub-10 min mile pace, so that's what I'll be working on for the next 7-9 weeks. Once I finish that training, I'll be starting 10K training, which is 6 weeks past that.

I'm also contemplating running the same 5K this year that I did last year (which is in late September) - only trying to best my time from last year! I really think this is possible! I surprisingly have some people who want to run the relay with me who I never expected - I actually might be able to get a group of 5 people ready for this! I am SO stoked!!! This is going to be awesome!!!

I also found that having something to train for triggers my brain to want to drop weight and eat better. Having to drop to "racing weight" is huge and definitely a motivator to keep myself in line! My current eating plan should work out really well actually - high carbs = high energy for runs, low fat = fat loss for me (not everyone is like this tho). Last year when I trained for my 5K I was in super shape (it was the only time I saw the 160s regularly and my abs were starting to show) and I'm stoked to get back there. I've got some endurance nutrition stuff to read so I'm looking forward to that. Not sure which one I'll do yet - but I think I might start with the Quick Start Guide for Racing Weight and go from there. Last year I stuck with around 1,400 cals a day on training & non-training days and it worked really well. I also incorporated strength training a few days a week for the last month - we'll have to see how that works out with Zumba classes tho - don't wanna overtrain!

I am planning on currently running Wed & Fri on treadmills (during my lunch breaks at work while I can, then once they get longer I'll do them at home) and Sundays outdoors (since I can run outside in the mornings before it gets super hot) so I'm conditioned for all terrains. I'm also currently looking into getting myself a Garmin Forerunner for running outside. I've found a few for a good price online - but who knows whether I'll actually buy one yet. Money needs to go elsewhere currently - but it would be nice to have one.

No Zumba class for me today - might go out and run some hill sprints with a client after work today. That could be super fun! Otherwise I'm going to enjoy my 2 rest days (today and Sunday) until next week - since its going to be a while before I will rest again! Especially since the big Zumbathon is tomorrow!! So excited!!!

I will be sure to get "before" photos, weight & measurements before Wednesday next week. I want to track my progress throughout this program like I did last year - especially since its the same program but I'm pushing harder & faster this time.

I think that's about it for me. I'm super excited about all this! I can't wait to get it started!!! I am totally antsy!! YAY for awesomeness!!

No comments:

Post a Comment