Wednesday, March 2, 2011

AHHHH I love a new plan!!!

Oh man - I've been antsy for a good butt kickin' and I gave it to myself today! I have been needing to start a new plan for a while and the one I finally decided on is amazing. My husband found this workout program last year and I picked it up for him (since he so rarely gets into anything fitness related) and I'm happy I bought it because I enjoy using it too. The workouts are well rounded & allow for a good butt kicking. Due to time limitations, I had to split up the workout into 2 different portions. The first portion was the functional warm up and the Abs routine and the strength training HIIT portion was done during my lunch break at work.

I really pushed and didn't allow myself a lot of rest time between sets, and boy did I feel it! The plan initially calls for higher reps initially, so I was doing 12-14 reps per set which I was definitely feeling after a while. Due to space limitations, the gym at my work only has dumbbells - so the lifting was done with dumbbells and not barbells. I find I can lift heavier with the bars as the weight is distributed more evenly and my wrists aren't pulled so much. A 40lb bar feels really different from a 40lb steel dumbbell.

Anyways, I used this information to figure out my 1RM on some of my lifting stats and I'm happy with it. Sunday is the next time I am doing this workout, so I will have a chance to play around with the bar at home and hopefully get a more accurate readout (since I damn well know I can squat more than 60 pounds, the dumbbells were just awkward for me since I held them up by my shoulders)

So, here's the workout - the times, cals burned, etc are all added up since I split it into 2 sessions.

Functional Warm Up:
Opposite Raise - 5 per side
Chops with 10lb dumbbell - 6 per side
Mountain Jumpers - 10
Breakdancers - 10 per leg

Ab Training:
Lying Leg Thrusts - 3 sets of 8
Reverse Crunches - 3 sets of 8
Bicycles - 1 set of 24
Alternating Crunches - 15 per side
Bench Crunches - 1 set of 15
Bench Plank - held for 60 seconds

Strength Training:
Romanian Deadlifts - Set 1: 14 reps with 80 pounds (two 40lb dumbbells), Set 2: 13 reps with 80 pounds
Front Squats (I hit parallel or lower each time and took these slow & held the bells up near my shoulders which was awkward since they were so bulky) - Set 1: 12 reps with 40 pounds for 2 sets
Wide Grip Pronated Lat Pulldowns: 2 sets of 14 reps with 50 pounds
Walking Lunges: 2 sets of 10 steps with 50 pounds (a 25lb dumbbell in each hand)
Bench Press: 14 reps with 30lbs (a 15 pound dumbbell in each arm) - this I know is higher with a barbell over bells!
Bent Over Rows: Set 1: 12 reps with 50 pounds (two 25 pound bells), Set 2: 12 reps at 40 pounds (two 20 pound bells)
Two Arm Swings: 1 set of 25 reps with a 20lb bell

HIIT:
Treadmill Sprints for 1 min at 7mph followed by 1 min recovery at 3.5 mph for a total of 8 minutes

Total Time: 45 mins
Total Calories Burned According to Bugg: 240 Cals

My legs are going to be toast later and I am loving every minute of it! I am also hoping for some awesome definition up near my shoulders & upper back, since that's where my tattoos are, and I always like them to look fabulous! haha! I am accomodiating for a few extra cals today during the work day, since I usually get munchy after strength training - am at around 800 cals so far for the day, but I don't anticipate going over my 1300-1400 mark for the day. I am just going to go for high volume low cal veggies when I get home :-D

Got my Zumba class tonight which is typically a good 400+ calorie burn so I'm looking forward to that as well! Have a good one everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment