Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Yay for Running

So I had another awesome workout today. I had planned to run my 5K today on a treadmill at work after my shift - but by the time the day was over, I just wanted to bolt out of there. So instead I opted for an outdoor run....in the desert....during the heat of the day....in 90+ degree weather...instead of air conditioned, climate controlled treadmill. Ya - I must be crazy!

I chose to run laps in my neighborhood - I have a 1 mile loop and ran that 3 times plus the extra 0.10 of a mile. Due to the heat, it wiped me out really fast and I had to stop and walk 4 times - my HRM wouldn't fall below 90% unless I stopped and walked. But each walk was only around 30 seconds, so I'm still happy. Time was a little longer than I wanted it to be, but I am attributing that to the heat as well.

I need to keep conditioning myself for outdoor running as my first race is coming up in a few weeks, so I think I'm going to have to start running at different times of the day. I don't particularly want to get up at 4am and run outside, but its definitely cooler than 4 in the afternoon. I am also contemplating starting to run every other day - instead of only 3 days a week, so I have an opportunity to get a few more workouts in before my race - but I'll have to see how I feel

Anyways, here's today's run - I don't know the max/avg speed and all those other fun facts. I used my IPOD and left my phone at home so I didn't have CardioTrainer running.

Warm Up: 5 mins brisk walk and dynamic stretching
Run 5K in 37 mins 11 seconds around my neighborhood
Cool Down: probably 5 mins walking to lower heart rate - whatever the length of "I will not bow" by Breaking Benjamin - the song was over when I got home and then stretching

Total Workout Time: 51 minutes
Total Calories Burned: 580 (considering I burned 60+ more calories than last run but had a longer time, this is definitely heat induced!)
Average Heart Rate: 83% - ya considering max is 85%, I whooped my butt today!
Max Heart Rate: 94%

Now that that's over, I am going to take it easy, rehydrate and get ready for clients later tonight! Fun Fun Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment